The Czechoslovak Hussite Church

The Czechoslovak Hussite Church (CHC) – is a Christian church – follows teaching based on Scripture and on Christian tradition – professes the tradition of the Early Church, that of Cyril and Methodius and of the Reformation – grew out of the Modernist movement and was founded on 8 January 1920 – is a liturgical church – administers the seven sacraments – is a presbyterian church with episcopal elements, its administration is composed of both the laity (elders) and the ordained (preachers, deacons, priests and bishops) – clergy can be men as well as women (after 1947) – believes in freedom of conscience – proclaims the Gospel in a contemporary form.


The Church Organization

Parish community led by the select vestry and the clergy (more than 300 communities in the Czech Republic and in the Slovakia) Diocese led by diocese vestry and the bishop (Diocese in the Czech Republic: Prague, Plzen, Hradec Králové, Brno, Olomouc; in Slovakia: Bratislava) Central Council bishops together with elected laity in equal numbers, led by the Patriarch Church Corporation Central Council members, elected clergy and laity from every diocese – limited authority of the Assembly among its proccedings. Assembly – the highest legislative body clergy and elected laity from every parish community.


The Wooden Church

 The church was buiIt primary as a Orthodox-Christian in Nizhne Seliste (Nižne Seliště) by the city of Khust (Chust) in Subcarpathian Rus (from 1945 Transcarpathian region of Ukraine) near the Rumanian frontier. The building of the church began in 1601 and was finished after 40 years. This church is Transylvanian-maramaroshian architectural type. The exact date is the 29th of July 1641 on feast of saint Paraskieva who it was consecrated in that time. The Saint Paraskieva, who icon is on right wall, is the Orthodox-Christian she-martyr. She had been christened in Orthodox-Christian church and than began to help to pure and ill people. But her father, who was a rich trader, did not like it and he let kill her in 23-year age.

Later, after the Orthodox-Christian period, this temple had been serving to the Greece­catholic church for a long centuries till to 20th years of the 20th century. In that time people built a new church in stone. Old wooden church was consecrated off, stood abbandoned and fell into dilapidate. After rise of the tirst Czechoslovak republic was established the State Office of care of historical monuments. This temple had been taken to register and in 1935 was offered to Blansko' s congregation of the Czechoslovak church. The discussion about buying and removing to Blansko began. In 1936 the church was stripped down and transported by 13 railway carriages into Blansko. Here, it was by master-carpenter Mikhail Saleytchuk and his workers built up again. On 23th May 1937 during the church-celebration it was consecrated by Olomouc' s bishop ThDr. Rostislav Stej skal again. Here are installed of origin equipment the pictures and upper part of iconostas. Icon of saint Nicholas - founder of Orthodox-Christian church, saint Paraskieva, Jesus' s baptism and Madonna with Jesus. In a top line of iconostas the apostles are - from left Thomas, Bartholomew, Andrew, Luke, John, Peter, in the middle Jesus invested with king's vesture, next are Paul, Mark, Matthew, Jacob, Simon and Philip. In lower line in the middle is the Lord' s dínner and about biblical scenes. On the left wall ís the icon of Madonna's death. In the fore part is the copy of Brozik's picture Mister John Huss ahead of Constance' s council - only one picture related to the Czechoslovak Hussite church.

The larch benches, the parquet floor, and the internal application ofwalls were made in 1946. Original external walls were protected with shingles during building in 1937. The tower is 28 meters tall and features hand-made crosses, whose last reparation was made in 2000.

The service has been performed here on Fridays at 5:30 p.m. On Sundays the service starts at 9 a.m. Beside regular service, the  christenings, weddings and funerals have beed done here.


Education, the Children, and the Youth

CHC takes care of the spiritual growth of its members by providing Bible study, pastoral care for children, confirmees and youth, religious education, preparation for the sacraments, courses, seminars, summer camps and other local, diocesan or general church activities. CHC – a founder of schools and educational institutes: Archa – the church kindergarten and elementary school, a Specialty school, Harmonie – the music school, Hus Institute for Theological Studies (HITS) CHC cooperates with Hussite Theological Faculty of the Charles University in Prague (HTF UK): education of the clergy and other employees of CHC and other churches, religious, social, educational, cultural and other organisations; HTF publish quarterly journal Theological Revue and many theological publications – edition “Pontes Pragenses”


Further Activities of the Church

Social work: charitable and diaconical activities in parish communities. Social work and counseling centres at the diocesan level – senior houses, centres for disabled, childrens' homes in cooperation weth Deakonie and Misie CHC and its centres – humanitarian help – army, hospital and prison chaplains. Culture and education: exhibitions, lectures, concerts, and so onltural facilities – public educational facilities (e.g. Hussite Centre)


International Cooperation

Ecumenical cooperation CHC is a member of the World Council of Churches (WCC), Conference of European Churches (CEC), Community of Protestant Churches in Europe (CPCE), Ecumenical Council of Churches in the Czech Republic (ECC), Ecumenical Academy of Prague (EA) and other ecumenical boards; CHC meets with other churches in the Czech Republic and abroad in ecumenical dialogue. Church within society CHC tries to be engaged in all spheres of the society, so as to fullfil its vocation: “The Czechoslovak Hussite Church is composed of Christians who strive to fulfil the contemporary moral striving and scientific knowledge with the Spirit of Christ as preserved in the Scripture and the tradition of the Early Church, and in the reform movements of the Bohemian Reformation and the subsequent reformations efforts.”

The Czechoslovak Hussite Church is open to all seekers.


Guided Tours in the Wooden Church

Opening Hours: every Wednesday and Saturday from 2 p.m. to 5p.m.  June - September

Individual tours may be negotiated for groups. Call 606 702 768 or 515 157 087.

The guided tours include information on the Wooden Church history.

Náboženská obec Československé církve husitské v Blansku Telefon: 606 702 768 E-mail: fararmartin@seznam.cz